Sunday 11 September 2016

Planes, Trains and Automobiles – Senior World Cup Arco

It’s been almost a year since I pulled on a GB vest to compete in a Senior World Cup.   I have trained hard and after the EUSA in Croatia was feeling confident on improving how I had managed in previous Senior World Cups.

After missing the official mug shot photos at kit distribution
I finally had an unofficial mug shot done. Great kit Berghaus.

Competition day was a fantastically sunny day, my first route was the second qualifier.  All was going well and then for some mad reason I lost my concentration. I was pretty disappointed but felt I could do better on the second qualifier. The second qualifier was a really good but sustained route. I felt I was climbing well, until I got pumped, which reflects on the fact I have been doing too much boulder training.  
After a discussion with the team management, who felt I had climbed well and came up with some areas for me to work on.  Although I was disappointed with my result, I feel confident that I can work on these.

Hot qualifiers 

Booking my journey home had involved a lot of searching for a cost effective way that which would fit in with a morning lift out of Arco.  Returning from Italy just after the August bank holiday can be complex.   Thank you Ellie and Dave for the 6am lift to Rovereto train station, then train to Veona, shuttle bus to Verona airport, plane to Gatwick, Gatwick express train to Victoria, underground to Euston (I have never been on the London underground before - boy is it hot down there and very weird place), Virgin train Euston to Manchester (first class as it was cheap when I booked), and a car journey back to Waddington!

No comments:

Post a Comment